Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Outsourcing ROI, Risk Management & Vendor Selection
- 1. What
are the benefits of outsourcing?
- Ans: If you’re looking to save money on IT and software development, offshore
outsourcing is a great way to take advantage of the best and most innovative solutions available at a low cost.
And while you’re cutting costs and getting better services, you’ll find that your company has much more time
and resources to dedicate to improving its core functions, building its core competencies and becoming
more competitive. Companies in software development and website development are increasingly recognizing
the benefits of offshore outsourcing.
- 2. What
types of projects can I outsource?
- Ans: Virtually any type of project can be outsourced in theory, but
in reality most companies want to retain in-house administration of their databases and networks.
But beyond that, any project that is outside of a company’s core business functions is a candidate
for outsourcing to a vendor either overseas or within the country of operations. It is not unusual for
companies to have long-term business relationship with outsource vendors and send them almost all of
- 3. What is
a typical ROI for outsourcing? How much can I really save?
- Ans:Most managers at software companies plan their outsourcing budgets
with the assumption that they’ll be able to reduce costs by at least 30%. If this estimate is expanded
to include labor costs for development, training, and implementation, then it may rise to 50% cost reductions
for offshore outsourcing. In other words, the anticipated return on investment can be impressive, depending
on the specific details of the project that you wish to outsource.
does the offshore development work?
- Ans: Quality software is result of good Software Methodologies.
Rapidsoft Systems folows industry standard software development methodologies and processes.
Clients are always in direct communication with the project manager in India and the US. PM
tracks the project through the development phases, right from needs analysis, requirements
documentation, prototyping, actual development, quality testing, release, and maintenance.
This is done in our offshore office, but through the power of the Internet and through
our very strong communication skills.
- 5. What are the main benefits of offshore outsourcing?
- Ans: Today's organizations are finding ways to cut costs
and obtain higher productivity from skilled resources. Other requirements include
risk minimization, and accelerating time-to-market for products. Offshore outsourcing
helps companies meet these objectives by providing:
- Cost effectiveness - Salaries of IT professionals are significantly lower than those
in the west
- Best Practices - offshore outsourcing companies are focused heavily on quality and
continuous process improvement, offshore development centers operate at high levels
of efficiency, predictability, and reliability
- Risk minimization- High process maturity greatly reduces the risk of project failures
and provides significant advantage when managing service level agreements
- 24x7 operations - There is a time differential between onshore and offshore destinations
which translates into a virtual 24/7 kind of operation for your projects
- 6. How do I choose the right company for outsourcing?
- Ans: Outsourcing has become a mainstream business strategy
to improve overall corporate performance and bring about efficiencies. A company
may be a potential candidate for outsourcing if following questions are answered:
- Are the resources utilized optimally
- Can the IT department improve efficiency
- Is the company ready to meet the future technological challenges
- Is there a quicker, more effective method to handle IT function
- 7. Is
it necessary for me visit you before outsourcing to you?
- Ans: Not really. It depends on the size of project. If you are based
in the US, Canada or Middle East, our representative willbe able to visit your office and discuss
your project in person.
- 8. Who all can consider outsourcing their work and why?
- Ans: To be true, just anyone right from an entrepreneur
in a small office home office (SOHO) segment to SME (Small & Medium Enterprises)
to large scale business empires can consider outsourcing irrespective of the business
processes and interests they follow. All businesses can benefit immensely by outsourcing,
as technology is constantly changing and to leverage it and get the competitive
advantage through it outsourcing is the answer.
- 9. What complexities are involved in outsourcing? How can I manage outsourcing relationships?
- Ans: Several studies and surveys have revealed that over
90 percent of Fortune 500 firms opt for outsourcing a specific part of their operations.
Considering such obvious indicators, why would an organization not opt for outsourcing?
Probably, you may have a bad outsourcing experience earlier. There are several issues
that have to be taken care of prior to choosing a partner for outsourcing. Furthermore,
once the service provider or developer is selected, it's not enough to keep sitting
on your heels and imagine that outsourced projects would work fine.
You must understand that outsourcing relationships are essential to ensuring any
- 10. What's the current statistic of software projects' success rates? What all steps
need to be taken in order to improve the rate of success?
- Ans: Studies and surveys conducted by prominent research
groups reveal that over 50% (half of) of software projects remain a failure today.
Now the question arises, why so? What all is needed to be successful? Are there
safety measures we can take for preventing this from occurring? How do we ensure
the success of a software project irrespective of its type what? Can the risks be
controlled and handled effectively?
Working With Rapidsoft Systems
- 1. How
long has been Rapidsoft Team Developing Software?
- Ans: We are a mid-size company and have been operation for the
last 6 years, though our entire management team and many key persons have been in the software industry
in the US and Canada for over 2 decades. They have designed products worth billons of dollars for the world's
leading technology comapanies. We have one of the most exprienced and knowledgeable management team compared
to just about any outsourcing company. Check the bio of our management team.
We are one of a few companies that have extensive hardware development expertise. Our team's Silicon
Valley pedigree ensures that we can do the projects of any complexity.
- 2. Who
are typical customers of Rapidsoft Systems?
- Ans: We are a Princeton, NJ based professional product development
company with the software and hardware development expertise and the development centers
in the US and India. We work with Fortune 500 corporations as well as with individual
entrepreneurs starting new on-line businesses. We are a preferred development partner
of prestigious Silicon Valley technology companies.
- 3. How
is Rapidsoft Systems different from other outsourcing software companies?
- The approach we use allows us to develop more reliable solutions in less time and
with less developers, thus saving your time and budget
- All our developers are highly skilled and experienced specialists
- All the software projects we have been involved in have been successfully completed
- We can be easily contacted at any stage of the development process - moreover, you
follow this process right from the start and until you obtain a completed solution
and can provide feedback thus being in full control
- 4. How can I benefit from working with Rapidsoft
- Ans: Rapidsoft Systems assures that your projects will be done
on time, to budget, and in accordance with international standards. You can outsource
Rapidsoft Systemsyour IT projects ranging from a simple utility to a total automation
of your business. It is confidential and reliable. Copyright on the final software
belongs to you. Also, due to abundant IT talents in India, Rapidsoft Systemscan offer
you an attractive price.
- 5. What type of processes does Rapidsoft Systems have in place?
- Ans: We have formulated tested processes that enable us
to deliver best- in-class services to our clients. Our processes are designed to
help our clients check project updates on a real-time basis, QA methodologies that
enable us to deliver defect free service and project management tools that allow
us to manage the projects effectively. To ensure the timely and quality delivery
for high client satisfaction, we have implemented the following processes:
- Prototypes and staged deliveries
- Status reports
- Bug management system
- Configuration management
- Knowledge management systems
- 6. What is the response time to an initial communication?
- Ans: The response time to an email is a few minutes, whereas
IM chat is instant with no response time at all. We are available virtually 24/7
for the purpose of responding to customer query.
- 7. How do you provide
project estimates and project schedules?
- Ans: Before the initiation of the project, we carry out
a very comprehensive scoping and estimation exercise using intelligent tools developed
in-house. We have a team of onboard systems analysts who are adept at project analysis
and estimation. On the basis of the work-load involved in the development phase
as well as the project delivery requirements, we provide the estimate for the project.
- 8. How do you handle change request and changes in project scope?
- Ans: We use an efficient change management procedure for
any changes in the project. For ongoing minor changes in the running project, the
changes are communicated to the project manager concerned, who gets them executed.
If the changes are significant and can greatly add to the work-load that has been
estimated at the beginning of the project, then we scope creep the project again
and submit the revised quote, for acceptance to the client.
- 9. What are the
technologies in which Rapidsoft Systemsis proficient?
- Ans: Rapidsoft Systems has worked on diverse technology platforms
and builds, which enables us to deliver best-in-class services to our clients. We
have worked extensively for clients in the following technology areas:
- Mobile Applications
- Web-based technologies
- Client/Server applications
- Web services
- Security services
- Application packing services
- 10. How should I ensure that the service provider I'm dealing with is capable of managing
my project requirement in an effective manner?
- Ans: To help you evaluate your service provider, here are
a few quick tips. A few important things you must watch out about your provider's
repertory or offerings are the aspects that relate to the requirement document,
clear & excellent communication channels, development methodology, and skills
for understanding and thinking ahead of a particular business model. A service provider
that offers programmers and developers on contract basis for Full Time Engagement
can be a good bet.
- 11. Do you've a fixed s
oftware development model that is considered successful?
- Ans: Similar to other disciplines of engineering, software
engineering also comprises of a few software development models. The document provides
you with a general overview of various methodologies of software development that
most contemporary software development firms adopt.
- 12. Why should I be outsourcing
to Rapidsoft Systems
- Ans: While most studies and researches suggest outsourcing
software development to India is tremendously advantageous, the question arises
as to which firm should I trust for outsourcing job? It's a known and acknowledged
fact that choosing the right partner is pivotal in ensuring the success of your
business overall growth and success. Considering this very understanding, you may
spend fair amount of time studying the data and holding discussions with those you
think may be truly helpful for you in choosing the right vendor or partner. The
other option may be to consider outsourcing to Rapidsoft Systems- the IT outsourcing
firm with over 2 decades of software development expereince. Choosing us would
not only help you save your precious time, but would also ensure faster and better
results leading to elevated ROI for you.
- 13. What are the services
Rapidsoft Systems offers? What sort of projects you've worked upon
so far? What all it takes for ensuring success of projects?
- Ans: Rapidsoft Systems is a full service IT services company.
Our services include development services as well as support services.
It's not just about technology, skills and talent
for creating well designed and elegant web sites or mobile applications.
A perfect combination of a sound business vision
and skills & ability for leveraging that vision in order to translate the same
in to a service that has economic impact is what's needed indeed. Services we offer,
our success stories, portfolios and case studies are what you must refer to for
knowing more about us.
- 12. What's your methodology for designing and development?
- Ans: Iterative model of development is what we follow.
It's an intermediate model or rather we should say a compromise between traditional
waterfall method and extreme programming/development methods. The methodology is
that once the initial requirements have been clarified, prototype of website and/or
web application is built immediately. Thenceforth, the process continuously evolves
until the final outcome, exactly as per the specifications.
- 13. What are your payment terms?
- Ans: We adopt easy to follow and convenient international
payment methods and mutually agreed payment terms. An advance payment is required to start
What is the quality of people you employ?
- Ans: The quality of a software development company is
ultimately the quality of its people. Our people are very strong for software projects:
- Are English-speaking Graduate/Post-Graduate Engineers
- Have multiple years of software development industry experience
- All people have experience on off-shore projects with US/European clients
- Most engineers are from premier engineering institutes in India, US and UKs
or have proven exceptional abilities
- Rapidsoft's selection process includes several rounds of interviewing, reference checking a
nd actual problem-solving on the computer!
How do you assure confidentiality of our Projects?
- Ans: As US company, we are very committed to maintaining confidentiality
of all our projects. You get the benefit of dealing with a US company with low cost development services.
- We sign NDAs and Confidentiality Agreements as required by you.
- All our employees are full-time employees, and are bound by the company
Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure clauses.
- Additionally, for sensitive projects, we create isolated cells disconnected from any public network.
- For the US defence projects, we can provide consultants who are US citizens and have security clearances.
- All our servers are US based and protected with appropriate security measures.
Projects Management Process
- 1. What all info would you need from me?
- Ans: Well, that would be best if you can provide us with
a detailed RFP (Request For Proposal), as it'll help us analyze your requirements
and project in a much better and comprehensive manner. In case you don't have an
RPF, we would request you to provide us with a fair idea of your specific requirements
so that our business team can help you in developing the RFP.
- 2. What
are the core technologies that Rapidsoft team can manage?
- Ans: We work in Mobile, Web and Networking technologies. We have dedicated teams in each area.
We are one of a few companies that can actually develop the hardware as well.
- 3. How would you receive my work?
- Ans: Our customers are spread all over the world. Therefore, we
can send and receive files using the Internet. You are requested to provide us with
a brief description (may be a doc about your exact requirement) during the initial
stages of our communication regarding the project. In case, you've an app that you'd
want us to analyze or work on, we'll require the corresponding Database details,
Web server details, and FTP details for it.
- 4. Do you also offer source code for various applications?
- Ans: We provide source code to our clients for any app
or software we've created for them.
- 5. Am I allowed to define/enforce coding standards we follow on your developers? If
yes, what can be done in case they aren't able to adhere to our standards.
- Ans: In normal case, our employees have to follow the coding
standards as defined by our SEPG (Software Engineering Process Group). However,
in case the team is required to follow your prescribed standards, it can be done
for you for sure.
It's our standard practice that if the team fails to adhere to the set standards,
we ensure to not bill you for the time that goes in to the correction of the code.
We do understand that we can't ever completely make up for the time that's been
wasted and therefore our system and processes focus towards ensuring that such instances
don't occur in the first place.
- 6. Do you provide daily progress reports outlining the completed as well as outstanding
- Ans: Though it's quite possible to provide daily progress
reports, we'd like to mention that the whole process may become quite cumbersome.
We would suggest you to either use online project collaboration or would send you
weekly reports as Excel sheets.
- 7. Can I access the code during development cycle? In case yes, then what method of
version control you would use for sharing the code?
- Ans: In case a dedicated team is hired by you on contract
basis, we may either make arrangement for hosting the Subversion (code Control System)
on your server or may provide you with access to our code repository.
In case we are working on project arrangement, you'll be able to access the code
once final payment has been made. Till that time, we'll be hosting the solution
on our own hosting server, so that you can review the features and provide the feedback.
- 8. Do you also provide
a document of formal technical specification?
- Ans: Our documentation comprises of Software Requirements
Specifications (SRS), Use Cases, In-Line Code Commenting, and High & Low level
Descriptions to help future programmers and developers understand as to how the
software was designed & constructed.
Projects Monitoring and Control
Are iterative approaches better than waterfall approaches?
- Ans: Traditionally, software development was done through a waterfall approach,
involving rigidly sequenced and structured phases of planning, creating, and testing the software. In contrast,
the iterative approach overlaps the different phases of your project. This means that complex projects can be
broken into more manageable parts and the teams still produce the same high-quality results. Just like the
waterfall approach, the iterative approach allows you to receive and pay for specific parts of your project.
Because there’s no need to wait until the entire project is finished, you’re able to mitigate the risks of outsourcing.
Would I own the relevant copyright and Intellectual Property?
- Ans: This would depend on the type of project
contract that we have entered into with each other. If the arrangement is on the basis
of hiring employees' contract basis, you will own the copyright, intellectual property and
related rights that will be specified clearly during the course of the project. However, if we
work on a project approach, then both parties would co-own
the copyright as well as have all rights to reproduce, modify or resell the code
How can I make sure that my project is a priority for the vendor?
Inevitably vendors are more interested in the most prestigious and profitable projects. But
you can take measures to ensure that your project doesn’t get overlooked or neglected. First and
foremost, make sure that your contract includes a detailed timeline with many deadlines and
delivery points. The vendor should incur financial penalties if it doesn’t follow your schedule
or if it doesn’t meet your specifications. You might want to consider using a system of incentive
payments, too, for when the vendor achieves milestones sooner than expected. But the best way to make
sure that your project is a priority for the vendor is to work with a vendor whom you trust and
develop a professional long-term and high-value relationship.
How do you manage and monitor work progress ?
As a top class software development company we strictly follow Project Management method to manage
and monitor our development work. We closely follow the PMBOK as set by the Project Management Institute (PMI)
standards. Hence, it helps to oversee any project success and also to perform an audit/review of a current
project situation. We use Microsoft Project Server along with Proprietary Collaboration Tools to manage the ongoing
projects and related issues and risks. We also use our own server for testing the applications during the debugging stage.
Our Project Managers are responsible for conducting weekly reviews during the progress of the project to keep a
tight control on the progress. The findings of the weekly status report are sent to the client. This allows
the client to keep abreast of the progress of the project and also have better control over the project.
On Site Development and Support Services
- 1. Can you send your consultants
to work at our development office in my country?
- Ans: Yes -We can send our consultants to work at your site subject to Visa availability
for the country. For US or Canadian projects, we do provide on-site consultants for short or long duration projects.
Different rates apply for on-site consultants. Contact our US office for such needs.
- 2. Can you provide
IT infrastructure support/ Data Migration/ Network Reconfiguration to our company?
- Ans: Yes - we can support any size IT infrastructure. Our onsite or offsite
engineering staffs are available depending upon job location, duration and size of the project. Contact our US office.
Testing and Quality Control
- 1. Is testing also included
in your pricing?
- Ans: Yes, we believe testing is an integral part of development
process and thus take care of same in our pricing. We have a separate team of specialists
in testing group.
- 2. What
are your testing procedures ?
- Ans: Our Quality Assurance and Testing team work from
Use Cases to prepare Functionality and Performance Test cases. The team conducts load tests when
required. The test team also works with the developers to create Unit Test cases. This allows
the programmers to test their own modules before they hand it over for integration. Our aim is
always to develop a bug free application for our client.
- 3. What
kind of quality procedure do you use ?
- Ans: We follow quality standards in line with CMMI® Level 3
and ISO 9001:2000. We are working towards getting certified in ISO 9000:2000 IT Quality
Management Systems and ISO 27001:3005 Information Systems Security Management.
Our Quality Assurance (QA) department provides the framework and ensures that the entire
software development process follows an established standard. It is their responsibility to
ensure that all deliveries conform to the quality requirements according to the customer specifications.
- 4. What are the procedures of testing you follow? Will load testing be included in it?
- Ans: Our QA & testing team works from 'Use Cases' for
preparing Performance and Functionality Test cases. Load tests are conducted when
Working with developers, the team creates unit test cases to help the programmers
& developers test their modules prior to handing over the same for integration.
We follow CMMI QA Model and thus we ensure that all the projects
we undertake pass through stringent quality checks. The projects during the various
stages of design & development undergo quality checks by a team of quality controllers
and internal auditors to ensure the clients receive innovative solutions that work.
This way, we ensure that you don't have to invest your time in checking what the
developers and programmers have delivered. You can thus focus on your core business
and take care of other aspects ensure the success of the project.
- 1. What is your pricing strategy for development projects?
- Ans: Our pricing model varies depending on the projects
we undertake and is largely based upon the requirements of our respective clients.
However, our general pricing format is as follows:
The three different options we offer include:
- Fixed Price
- Time and Material
- Man Month
- 2. How can I make payments to you?
- Ans: You can pay us by a check drawn on US bank or by wire transfer. An
invoice will include all payment details. For international customers, we may request you to create an Escrow with
a US company before starting the project.
- 3. Are additional
costs also involved in your pricing?
- Ans: There is no additional cost except the bank charges
that you'd need to incur at the time of making the payment. The cost of any third-party
software you'd require to purchase for your clients would also be borne by you.
Rapidsoft Systems own comprehensive infrastructure such as development servers, mobile phones,
various development and test tools. In addtion, we own software such as Adobe CS5,
Microsoft Project servers, various database software, security tools, web test tools, data
base utilities and scripts. We don't add any charges for these.
But, if there's any tool that you would
want us to use for a particular project, you may have to be billed for the same
by us. However, we'll discuss and consult with you prior to implementing any such
- 4. Is there
any discount for long term service contracts?
- Ans: We offer extremely competitive pricing. Our pricing is based
upon a long-term association with the customers and we do not offer discounts for projects less
than one year duration. Multi-year service discounts are given to longer contracts or team sizes
greater than 10 with at least a 9 months development contract.
- 1. How should I contact you?
- Ans: You are requested to fill out the form, provided here,
to help us know you a little and also the projects you've in mind. If you would
prefer emailing to us, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Even better, you can phone us in any of the listed office phone numbers onthis site.
- 2. Am I allowed to
contact the the team that is working on my project? If
yes, then may I communicate through phone?
- Ans: Yes, we'd strongly suggest you to interact primarily
with our team leader to reduce the chances of any miscommunications or misapprehensions
within your team. We have our own VOIP network and all offices are connected via our inhouse
PBX. You can dial through our Office PBX line with extension. In some cases, we can even
provide extensions lines to our customers for easy communications.
We are equally comfortable with communication through chat, e-mail or phone.
- 3. Can your sales person visit us to
discuss our projects in the US, Canada, Middle East, India or Europe.
- Ans: Depending upon the size of the project and your office location, our sales
consultant will be happy to meet you. We have offices in India, US East and West Coast and in the Middle
East. We also have resident Sales people in other parts such as Europe and Latin America.